Thursday, August 6, 2009

Iphone/Ipod touch Gaming

I'm am a recent owner of an iPod touch (8gb, nothing fancy) and with this new hand-held wonder I decided it was finally time to start listening to people when they talk about iPhone games since I can play them now.

I used to think that gaming on an iphone would be a terrible experience. I would think "dude, I need buttons for this... no touch screen is going to do the trick." Well, I'm glad to say that I was at least halfway wrong. After trying terrible demos of Megaman 2, Resident Evil 4 and Assassin's Creed I was ready to give up the hope of conventional gaming on the iphone (mostly because I'm too cheap to buy Monkey Island and haven't yet tried Peggle)--but then something wonderful happened: I stumbled across a game by Gamevil called Baseball Stars. Baseball Stars is a very simple to play, but very deep baseball game that took me back to the days of RBI Baseball on the NES. I wore my RBI Baseball cartridge out as a kid. I played that game for years on my NES until it was replaced by Sega's Sports Talk Baseball on my Genesis. This game took my right back to those days instantly.

I started out with the Lite version of the game and after a few innings I was hooked. They almost dared my to upgrade to the full version with the incredible depth this baseball RPG. You can play a full 32 game season, develop your own created player, play mission mode and each is fun and rewarding. The art and style of the game is totally Japanese (you can have a hot nurse, tiger-man and a martial artist to name a few) and it works great for the game.

At $2.99 Baseball Stars is a steal and it was a worthy first purchase for my first iPod touch. It's amazing that one game has changed my preconcieved notions about a platform, but look out world: I'm on the iPhone gaming bandwagon!

No comments: